Search Results for "Mountmellick Stud"
Sunday Knight To Stand At Mountmellick Stud
Sunday Knight (Sunday Silence-Wrap Around, by Bletchingly) will stand the 2009 season at Tallarook-based Mountmellick Stud in Victoria. Sunday Knight (previously standing at Toowoomba-based Plaintree Farm in Queensland) has been purchased by Tim & Penny Reeve to replace ill-fated Any Given Sunday (Sunday Silence-Tamari, by Nureyev) who sired of dual Gr1-winner Riva San in his only season at stud. Penny Reeve enthused: "Given that Sunday Knight is free of Northern Dancer blood, he offers a complete outcross to the plethora of Northern Dancer-Danzig line mares in this country. And with the initial 5 sons of Sunday Silence to go to stud in Australia each producing a Gr1-winner, Sunday Knight is an exciting addition to the Victorian stallion ranks." Sunday Knight (an $800,000 yearling at the 2001 Inglis Easter Sale in Sydney who was retired unraced) will stand at Mountmellick for $3,000 (a 32% decrease on last season).
Riva San Wins Gr1 Queensland Derby
Ill-fated Australian-bred & Mountmellick Stud-based stallion Any Given Sunday (Sunday Silence-Tamari, by Nureyev) added a Gr1 triumph when daughter Riva San (Any Given Sunday-Best River, by Best Western) made it 2 successive Gr1 wins in a week with a 2-lengths victory over the males in the $500,000 Gr1 Queensland Derby (2400m) for 3YOs at Eagle Farm. Riva San (ridden by Jim Byrne for trainer Peter Moody) defeated the geldings Petushki (Golan-Llamrei, by Star Way) & Moatize (Danehill Dancer-Shezabeel, by Zabeel). Riva San (only the 4th filly in 35 years to complete the Queensland Oaks-Derby double) now has 5 wins (also including last start's Gr1 Queensland Oaks over 2400m at Eagle Farm on May 31, plus 2007's Listed Lindsay Park Guineas over 1600m at Morphettville) & 4 placings (including the Listed Gold Coast Bracelet over 1800m on May 3 & 2007's Gr2 Wakeful Stakes over 2000m at Flemington) from 16 starts for $851,000 earnings. (Click on the link for full race details from Group Race Results at AAP Racing.)
Riva San Wins Gr1 Queensland Oaks
On the Australian track, ill-fated Australian-bred & Mountmellick Stud-based stallion Any Given Sunday (Sunday Silence-Tamari, by Nureyev) recorded his 1st Gr1 triumph when daughter Riva San (Any Given Sunday-Best River, by Best Western) prevailed in a 3-way photo-finish to the $400,000 Gr1 Queensland Oaks (2400m) for 3YO fillies on a heavy track at Eagle Farm in Brisbane. Riva San (ridden by Scott Seamer for trainer Peter Moody) scored by a long-neck from Rathsallagh (O'Reilly-Star Of Amarissa, by Assert) with a further long-head to Gr1-winning favourite Heavenly Glow (Spinning World-Starsphere, by Celestial Bounty). Riva San now has 4 wins (also including 2007's Listed Lindsay Park Guineas over 1600m at Morphettville) & 4 placings (including the Listed Gold Coast Bracelet over 1800m on May 3 & 2007's Gr2 Wakeful Stakes over 2000m at Flemington) from 15 starts for $526,000 earnings. (Click on the link for full race details from Group Race Results at AAP Racing.)
Riva San Wins Lindsay Park Guineas
Ill-fated Australian-bred & Mountmellick Stud-based stallion Any Given Sunday (Sunday Silence-Tamari, by Nureyev) recorded his 1st stakes-winner when daughter Riva San (Any Given Sunday-Best River, by Best Western) scored a half-length victory in the $50,000 Listed Lindsay Park Guineas (1600m) for 3YO fillies at Morphettville in Adelaide. Riva San (ridden by Jeffrey Maund for trainer Peter Moody) defeated Truly Beautiful (Beautiful Crown-Zabstar, by Zabeel) & Serious Speed (Royal Academy-Twitter, by Kendor). Riva San now has 3 wins & 2 runner-ups from 5 starts for $145,400 prize-money.
1st Winner For Freshman Sunday Knight
Queensland-based Plaintree Stud freshman sire Sunday Knight (Sunday Silence-Wrap Around, by Bletchingly) notched his 1st winner when 2YO gelding Punch Up (Sunday Knight-School Blue, by Geiger Counter) scored by 2.5-lengths on debut over 1300m at the Gold Coast for trainer Peter Balzen. Punch Up was a $10,000 yearling at the 2006 Magic Millions January Sale. Sunday Knight (an $800,000 yearling at the 2001 Inglis Easter Sale in Sydney) was retired unraced.
1st Winner For Any Given Sunday
Ill-fated Australian-bred stallion Any Given Sunday (Sunday Silence-Tamari, by Nureyev) recorded his 1st winner with his 1st starter when 2YO filly Oh Very Young (Any Given Sunday-Margincall, by Final Card) scored at Mowbray in Tasmania for trainer George Blacker. Oh Very Young was an $1,800 weanling at the 2005 Inglis June Sale in Sydney. Her sire Any Given Sunday stood just 1 season at Tallarook-based Mountmellick Stud in Victoria before he died in 2004.
100 Lots At Rockhampton Capricorn Sale
The annual McCaffrey's Capricorn Sale will be held at Rockhampton Showgrounds on Sunday (April 9) with 100 lots featuring 50 sires including Iglesia, Beautiful Crown, Bureaucracy, Filante, Telesto, Sequalo, Dodge, Semipalatinsk, Sea Road, Manshood, Ombra Della Sera, Forever Regal & Sunday Knight.
Strong Freshman Representation at Gold Coast
Back in Australia, tomorrow's opening session of the Conrad Jupiters Magic Millions Yearling Sale at 11am Queensland time heralds the start of a new annual round of yearling sales. While the progeny of established sires will be keenly sought out, buyers will be equally keen to inspect the progeny of stallions whose 1st crops are yearlings of 2005/06. They number 40 and include:
- Arazi (Blushing Groom-Danseur Fabuleux, by Northern Dancer)
- Aucash (Danehill-All Grace, by Sir Tristram)
- Bel Esprit (Royal Academy-Bespoken, by Vain)
- Choisir (Danehill Dancer-Great Selection, by Lunchtime)
- Count Albrecht (Geiger Counter-Lady Giselle, by Nureyev)
- Danehill Star (Danehill-Princess Tracy, by Ahonoora)
- Dash For Cash (Secret Savings-Gulistan, by Rubiton)
- Delago Brom (Encosta De Lago-Brompton Cross, by El Qahira)
- Don Eduardo (Zabeeel-Diamond Lover, by Sticks and Stones)
- E Dubai (Mr. Prospector-Words Of War, by Lord at War)
- Elusive Quality (Gone West-Touch Of Greatness, by Hero's Honor)
- Falvelon (Alannon-Devil's Zephyr, by Zephyr Zing)
- French Deputy (Deputy Minister-Mitterand, by Hold Your Peace)
- Grass Wonder (Silver Hawk-Ameriflora, by Danzig)
- Hussonet (Mr. Prospector-Sacahuista, by Raja Baba)
- Invincible Spirit (Green Desert-Rafha, by Kris)
- Ishiguru (Danzig-Strategic Maneuver, by Cryptoclearance)
- Jeune King Prawn (Danehill-Western Chorus, by Western Symphony)
- Johannesburg (Hennesy-Myth, by Ogygian)
- King Of Danes (Danehill-Impulsive Rhythm, by Rubiton)
- Manner Hill (Danehill-Mannerism, by Amyntor)
- Moon Rocket (Zabeel-Sky Rocket, by Danehill)
- No Excuse Needed (Machiavellian-Nawaiet, by Zilzal)
- Noverre (Rahy-Danseur Fabuleux, by Northern Dancer)
- Orientate (Mt. Livermore-Dream Team, by Cox's Ridge)
- Promontory Gold (Gone West-Possibly Perfect, by Northern Baby)
- Pyrus (Mr. Prospector-Most Precious, by Nureyev)
- Rock Of Gibraltar (Danehill-Offshore Boom, by Be My Guest)
- Shot Of Thunder (Thunder Gulch-My Brilliant Star, by Copper Kingdom)
- Snowland (Snippets-Snowdrift, by Polish Precedent)
- Street Cry (Machiavellian-Helen Street, by Troy)
- Sunday Knight (Sunday Silence-Wrap Around, by Bletchingly)
- Taimazov (Southern Halo-Heiress, by Greinton)
- Tobougg (Barathea-Lacovia, by Majestic Light)
- Tuscanos (Encosta De Lago-Palace Fire, by Palace Music)
- Universal Prince (Scenic-Biscay Bird, by Bluebird)
- Van Nistelrooy (Storm Cat-Halory, by Halo)
- Verglas (Highest Honor-Rahaam, by Secreto)
- Viking Ruler (Danehill-Tristalove, by Sir Tristram)
- Zaha (Kingmambo-Play All Day, by Steady Growth)
Capricorn Yearlings Race For More Money
Further north in Queensland, graduates of the 2006 Capricorn Yearling Sale will be racing for substantially increased 2YO prize-money incentives. Central Queensland Thoroughbred Breeders Association president Ross Shannon announced: "The 2007 Capricorn Sales Classic will offer a substantial increase in prize-money over the amount available in the 2006 series. While the final details are still being worked out, we're sure the series will attract great interest from local & southern racing enthusiasts." The CQTBA is working with Ken McCaffrey from McCaffrey's Australian Livestock Marketing, which stages the Capricorn Yearling Sale in Rockhampton on Sunday 9 April 2006. Shanon noted: "Quality rather than quantity is the overall aim, with yearling numbers capped at 100 entries. Stallions likely to be represented include hot new prospects such as Johannesburg, Falvelon, Sunday Knight, Aucash & Ombra Della Sera, alongside such proven performers as Iglesia, Dodge, Beautiful Crown, Filante & Hellissio."
Magic Millions August Catalogue
Catalogues are out for next month's 183-lot Magic Millions August Thoroughbred Sale (Sunday 21 August) on the Gold Coast. A highlight will be the 46-lot Royston Stud Reduction Sale, which includes many well-bred broodmares. In addition a supplementary catalogue featuring a further 50+ horses is currently being assembled. The current catalogue includes:
- Yearlings by Agnes World, Aucash, Blu Tusmani, Canadian Silver, Catbird, Greenlander, Hayil, Hurricane Sky, Iglesia, Invincible Spirit, Irish Royal, Johannesburg, Keltrice, King Charlemagne, King Ivor, King Of Danes, King's Best, Lion Hunter, Reassure, Royal Charter, Shot Of Thunder, Springsteen, Street Cry, Sunday Knight, Telesto, Time Mill & Tobougg.
- 2YOs by Afleetaffair, Anglia, Arena, Avispon, Danzero, Dodge, Esperero, Genuine, Hayil, Kenfair, King Charlemagne, Lion Hunter, Monashee Mountain, Nuclear Freeze, Orpen, Reenact, Sequalo, Springsteen, Strategic, Telesto & Xaar.
- Racehorse winners including Canny Star, Don't Go There, Fresh Cream, Grove Hill, Komatipoort, Sequalo Joy & To Please A Lady.
- At least half-relations to stakes-winners Forfar, Local Legend, Pepinello, Show A Heart & Shy Hero.
- Stallion nominations to Canadian Silver & Hayil.
- Stakes-performing mares Chaumont & Snowy Weather.
- Mares by Bletchley Park, Bluebird, Canny Lad, Covetous, Dance Floor, Danehill, Danzero, Dr Grace, Flying Spur, Foxhound, Geiger Counter, Grosvenor, Hula Chief, Ideal Planet, Kaapstad, Magic Of Money, Marscay, Nassipour, Rory's Jester, Semipalatinsk, Sir Tristram, Sound Reason, St Covet, Success Express, Vettori & Zoffany.
- Mares covered by Adam, Aucash, Canadian Silver, Carnegie, Conatus, Exceed And Excel, Hayil, Iglesia, Irish Royal, Joyeux Danseur, King Ivor, King Of Dances, Lujain, Monashee Mountain, Mr Innocent, Pure Theatre, Red Sun, Rock Of Cashel, Sequalo, Shovhog, Springsteen, Taimazov, Telesto & Untouchable.
- Mare half-sisters to stakes-winners Awesome Weather, Bombaleur, Burette, Cimarra, Colonial Chief, Direct Sign, Grand Jette, Great Is Great, Half Hennessy, Lanolin, Lurestina, Mana, Overclock, Snippets' Crown, Spargo & Stirring.
- Mare full sisters to stakes-winners Candide, Chaleyer, Marechal, Sound Lover & The Right Money.