Daily News Archive
Daily News Subscription
NZ Bloodstock Graduates Dominate Sha Tin
For the second weekend in a row, New Zealand bred horses dominated at Sha Tin with five winners from the ten-race card, all of them graduates of NZB Sales:
- The day's 2nd race fell to Peach Blossom (Centaine-Bali Hi) for trainer, Tony Millard. The 5YO gelding was purchased from Waikato Stud at New Zealand Bloodstock's Select Sale for NZ$37,500.
- Feature race of the day, the Class 1 HK$1.6m Changchun Handicap (1600m) was won by Cheeky (O'Reilly-Sound Lover) a NZ$230,000 purchase at the 2000 Premier Sale at Karaka.
- Happee Owner (Towkay-Make Up) won the HK$1m Chinese Recreation Club Challenge Cup (1400m). Previously racing in New Zealand as Ambitious Owner, Happee Owner won the Group 1 Levin Classic and ran second in the Group 1 2000 Guineas last season.
- Winning Bullet (Zabeel-Celebrant), a NZ$240,000 purchase from the 2003 Premier Sale at Karaka, won Race 8 on the card. This was Winning Bullet's second start in Hong Kong for trainer, John Size.
- Electronics Spur (Flying Spur x Hasty Bird) won the Class 3 Guilin Handicap (1400m) for Tony Cruz. A previous winner in Australia, Electronics Spur was purchased by Dan O'Donnell for NZ$120,000 from Karaka.