Daily News Archive
Daily News Subscription
US Horse Owners On 2008 Forbes Rich List
Tuesday Odd Spot: Prominent US owner-breeder B. Wayne Hughes is the richest American with ties to the thoroughbred industry on the Forbes magazine "Rich 400" list for 2008. Hughes (founder of Public Storage) ranks 78th richest American with a net worth of US$4.5 billion; he owns Spendthrift Farm in Kentucky. Other major thoroughbred industry figures on the list include:
- Wine mogul Jess Jackson (majority owner of reigning US Horse-Of-The-Year Curlin) at 187th with US$2.4 billion net worth.
- Owner-breeder Brad Kelley (also a minor stake-holder in Churchill Downs) at 301st with US$1.6 billion net worth.
- Owner-breeders Charlotte Weber & Gerald Ford shared 355th spot with US$1.4billion net worth.
- Kenny Troutt (WinStar Farm part-owner) & George Steinbrenner (Kinsman Stable principal) shared 377th position with US$1.3 billlion net worth.
- T. Boone Pickens (husband of owner-breeder Madeleine Paulson Pickens) is 131st with US$3.1 billion net worth.