Daily News Archive
Daily News Subscription
Internationals Update For Melb Carnival
In yesterday’s news among the international contenders for this year’s Melbourne Carnival:
- Trainer Lee Freedman confirmed Speed Gifted (12th of 13 runners in last weekend’s Gr1 Cox Plate) will not be accepting for this year’s Gr1 Melbourne Cup & will be sent for a spell.
- South African trainer Herman Brown said Bankable “is on the improve” from a mystery soreness in the off foreleg (which will prevent him running in Saturday’s Gr1 Mackinnon Stakes at Flemington) & confirmed: “We did some nerve-blocking in the leg on Monday & it seems the problem is above the hoof in the back of the leg, but he seems much better today (Tuesday). I would say he’s 80-90% right & we’ll hope to have him back on the track by Thursday or Friday.” Brown said that would give him enough time to have Bankable ready for the Gr1 Emirates Stakes (1600m) on Saturday 7 November at Flemington.
- Herman Brown said he is also “very happy” with his Melbourne Cup hope Mourilyan, who looked well in an easy workout at Sandown yesterday morning. Brown added: “Mourilyan will probably gallop with Changingoftheguard on Thursday, but I don’t want him to do much, about 800m will be enough.”
- Meanwhile the David Hayes-trained import Changingoftheguard appeared for only light exercise at Sandown yesterday morning.
- The Ian Williams-trained Munsef worked over 2200m at three-quarter pace in a solid hit-out.
- Damien Oliver is expected at Sandown this morning for his 1st ride on his new Melbourne Cup mount, the Chris Waller-trained Warringah.
- UK trainer Luca Cumani’s team is waiting anxiously to see if Basaltico (currently 28th in the order-of-entry) will make the cut for the 24-horse field for the Melbourne Cup. Assistant trainer Charlie Henson said Basaltico has made “a lot of improvement” since his unlucky run in the Geelong Cup & Danny Nikolic had been engaged for the Melbourne Cup.
- Godolphin’s Kirklees galloped over 1600m at Sandown yesterday morning. His trainer Saeed bin Suroor is due to arrive in Melbourne on Thursday.