Daily News Archive
Daily News Subscription
Gr1 Melbourne Cup Jockey Comments
Post-race comments from the jockeys in the Gr1 Melbourne Cup:
- Corey Brown (Shocking 9-1) 1st: I was worried the whole race. It is one thing to have a light weight on your back, but to be exposed the whole race covering ground. I was wrapped when Macca (Kerrin McEvoy) got pushed out on Godolphin's horse. I jumped onto his back & got a bit of cover from the 700m because there was a huge head wind from the 600m. I just wanted to get well into the straight before I exposed him again. It was a tough effort, travelling 3-wide in a Melbourne Cup & still win.
- Kerrin McEvoy (Crime Scene 40-1) 2nd: He ran a great race. Gave us a good thrill. The other horse headed me at the furlong, but my horse really let go well.
- Glyn Schofield (Mourilyan 20-1) 3rd: This horse kept improving, kept on bursting through. I tried to follow Kerrin (McEvoy) when he came out. But when I went for him at the end there wasn't much there.
- Vlad Duric (Master O'Reilly 11-1) 4th: They went too slow coming out of the straight & slowed up mid-race. It was always going to be hard for my horse coming from the back.
- Craig Newitt (Harris Tweed 100-1) 5th: If he draws a barrier, I reckon he nearly wins. I just had to go a long way out of my ground to get in. He travelled up okay but I was wide. He just lacked the turn of foot that the winner had, but very very good run.
- Dom Tourneur (Alcopop 15-4 favourite) 6th: He ran good. Ran honest. Got a good run in transit but it was a rough affair out there. He will be all the better in 12 months because he is still a young pup. Got a long way to go yet.
- Brad Rawiller (Viewed 11-2) 7th: It was too slow for us. I would have liked to have been on the back of Shocking to bring us into the race. I got forced onto the heels of one going down the straight & we nearly came down. We were lucky to stay up. I had 2 horses at one stage trying to stay inside me & ended up in strife for 100m. Got on heels & nearly came down, but fortunately stayed up. From there to the winning post (the 1st time around) we were in a fair bit of trouble there. With 58kg it was going to be hard from there.
- Nicholas Hall (C'est La Guerre 25-1) 8th: He was a little eager in the early stages, which didn't help him.
- Chris Symons (Kibbutz 70-1) 9th: Terrific effort. He stayed the trip. The horse is 100% sound. We had a really good run, following the leader for a long way from the half-mile. I was just wrapped with the way he finished it off.
- Peter Wells (Newport 40-1) 10th: He ran okay.
- Chris Munce (Daffodil 14-1) 11th: She got knocked on her head at the top of the straight. They can't be doing that.
- Zac Purton (Munsef 50-1) 12th: Bit disappointing because I had a good run. I was trailing the 2nd horse, I had the winner outside me. Then at about the 800m Nick Hall came out under my neck & put me out of the race.
- Dwayne Dunn (Gallions Reach 200-1) 13th: Had the run of the race. It was unfortunate that the others rolled over him.
- Craig Williams (Leica Ding 25-1) 14th: She is gallant. She just needed them to go a lot faster & hopefully break the field up. She was a bit impeded in her run at the top of the straight but she is really tough.
- Luke Nolen (Ista Kareem 90-1) 15th: They went too slow for me.
- Michelle Payne (Allez Wonder 25-1) 16th: She worked into the race well. But she just didn't stay, didn't stay the trip over the last 2 furlongs.
- Noel Harris (Capecover 100-1) 17th: Nice even run. Up the straight he didn't have a lot of room. He plugged away.
- Dan Nikolic (Basaltico 25-1) 18th: He struggled. He had a nice run. They went very slow. He was a beaten horse a long way out. I was in trouble at the 1200m & at the half-mile when they made their runs I couldn't tack onto any of them.
- Mark Zahra (Zavite 60-1) 19th: Not good enough.
- Mark Du Plessis (Spin Around 200-1) 20th: Had a good trip.
- Hugh Bowman (Roman Emperor 10-1) 21st: Never had much chance once the gates opened.
- Steven King (Fiumicino 70-1) 22nd: He gave me a great ride. He just doesn't stay.
- Damien Oliver (Warringah 30-1) 23rd: Disappointing. He had a nice run in front but failed to stay.