Daily News Archive
Daily News Subscription
2,694 Race Meetings In 2009-10 Aust Season
The Australian Racing Board released the 12th edition of the Australian Racing Fact Book, its annual reference guide to the Australian thoroughbred racing industry. It reported:
- Racing: 2,694 race meetings were conducted in Australia during the 2009-10 season, with 31,773 horses running in 19,376 races.
- Prize-money: Total prize-money during 2009-10 amounted to $427 million, while total returns to owners were over $481 million.
- Breeding: There were 27,022 mares returned, resulting in 17,191 live foals born (63.6%).
- Sales: Yearling sale results in 2009-10 ended with 4,831 yearlings auctioned for a record gross of $256,088,752. Highest selling yearling at an Australian public auction for the season was a Redoute's Choice-Regrowth colt sold at the Inglis Easter Yearling Sale in Sydney for $1.85 million.
- Ownership: Sole ownership still remains the most popular form of ownership with over 5,241 horses registered this year with 1 owner.
- Betting: Wagering turnover on thoroughbred racing during 2009-10 amounted to $15.07 billion.