Daily News Archive
Daily News Subscription
Messara Supports National Control Body & TAB
Arrowfield Stud boss John Messara was asked for his views on a series of key industry issues by The Daily Telegraph.
- National Control Body: "The sport needs to be administered by a national body like the AFL or the NRL. At the end of the day, it is vital to secure the prosperity of our industry. We need to promote the racing brand across the nation. Sadly, I don't know if it is achievable given the history & culture of conflict that exists between the states."
- National TAB: "This is really important & valuable, so the tote can have the opportunity to compete more effectively with corporate bookmakers & to attract international punters, especially from Asia. This is achievable & I believe others share my view."
- Hunter Valley mining: "It is still unresolved but the State Government is listening. There are high value agricultural areas that ought to be protected. We are not against mining, but we have to be able to co-exist. I'm still confident we will find a reasonable resolution."
- Randwick Redevelopment: "Some of the plans for Randwick are very good, particularly the spectator facilities, but I do have reservations about the strategic direction the Australian Turf Club is taking."
- An Australian Breeders Cup Series: "It is not a pipedream, I think it is possible. You never say never & it would be great for Australian racing if it ever happens."