Daily News Archive
Daily News Subscription
WA 2011-12 Funding Up $2.7m
Racing And Wagering Western Australia announced an "overall increase in thoroughbred distribution of $2.7 million" for 2011-12 ($1 million of which is dedicated to an extra week in the financial calendar). Key elements include:
- RWWA to fund base stake tiering specific to Metropolitan racing. This includes a return to $50,000 base stakes for 2YO Open, 3YO Open and 3UP Open races; along with an increase to $47,500 base stakes for 3UP Rtg 80+.
- Metropolitan feature funding "has been adjusted to accommodate this increase": changes to feature stakes include a decrease to $500,000 for the Winterbottom Stakes, an increase to $350,000 for the WA Guineas & an increase to $200,000 for the WA Champion Fillies Stakes.
- Mid-week metropolitan stake levels will return to 2009-10 levels.
- Provincial base stake increases based on the Thoroughbred Strategic Plan's objective to eventually match "like-for-like" rated metro midweek stakes. Overall this accommodates a 5% increase in Provincial stake funding.
- RWWA to fund increase of base stakes by 4% for major country clubs (Broome, Carnarvon, Esperance, Port Hedland & Roebourne). RWWA has previously funded all major country races at an average of $7,000 per race; that will now lift to $7,271 per race.
- CPI increase afforded to the WA jockeys - as per 3-year contractual arrangement entered into in 2010-11 ($150 ride fee increase to $155 ride fee).
- 36% increase in overall Key Training Venue Funding - dedicated to Ascot, Albany, Bunbury, Geraldton & Kalgoorlie ($580,000 increase).