Daily News Archive

Search nearly 75,000 unique Daily News articles.

Daily News Subscription

Top UK Jockey Hughes Quits Over New Whip Rules

Friday, 14th October 2011

In the UK overnight, leading jockey Richard Hughes “has given up his riding licence in protest at the new whip regulations after receiving a 10-day ban at Kempton” reported racingpost.com. It was his 2nd whip ban in the 4 days “since the tough new regulations were introduced”. Hughes (2nd in last year’s flat jockeys premiership) said he would “relinquish his licence until the new rules were reviewed & gave up his 2 remaining rides on Kempton's all-weather card”. He declared: “I can't ride horses knowing that I'm not doing myself & the owners who pay £100 (A$160) a time justice. I will only consider starting again if there is a review of the rules. I'd rather sweep roads than do half a job.” The rules limit jockeys to 7 strikes (5 in the last furlong) on the Flat & 8 over jumps. Hughes “took particular aim at the limit of 5 whip strikes in the final furlong” noting: “We're allowed to hit them 7 times & both times I've been done, I've hit them 6 times, which is less than the amount you're allowed. They've made the rules so you hit them more - so you have to get 2 into them before the furlong pole as then you've only got 5 left. I was always told as a young jockey the last jockey who goes for his whip normally wins.”

« Previous
Return to
14th October 2011 News
Next »