Daily News Archive
Daily News Subscription
Government Review Into Illegal Offshore Wagering
Yesterday's announcement by Australia's Federal Government into illegal offshore wagering has been welcomed by Racing Australia, with the industry's peak body stating that it "supports the Government's action in the face of a rapidly changing and evolving online landscape." Concerned that the integrity of Australia's racing and sports sectors are at considerable risk if left unchecked, Racing Australia wants racing regulators to have access to all betting records wherever those transactions take place. The racing industry will be represented at the inquiry, headed by former NSW Premier The Hon Barry O'Farrell, where it will submit the following key objectives:
- Safeguard integrity in tracing and sport.
- Secure racing and sports' revenue.
- Protect against problem gambling.
- Ensure minors are not able to access wagering or gambling on the internet.
- Guard against proliferation of online gambling (e.g. casinos, pokies).