Daily News Archive

Search nearly 75,000 unique Daily News articles.

Daily News Subscription

Potential Whip Rule Changes Postponed Until September

Tuesday, 28th June 2016

CEO Peter McGauran says any changes to Racing Australia's controversial whip rules will not be considered until September. The whip rules have angered riding associations and drawn criticism from top jockeys ever since their introduction on 1st December last year. The rule limits the number of times a jockey can strike a horse, in either a forehand or backhand manner, to five before the 100m mark of any race. However, jockeys have found it difficult to adhere to the new system with a significant number of riders being suspended for breaching the rules. Racing Australia announced on Friday that a report from its National Chairmen of Stewards Committee on the new whip rules would be referred to each Principal Racing Authority (PRAs) for their consideration. Furthermore, the Racing Australia Board also formed a Sub-Committee chaired by Racing Australia Director Des Gleeson and including representatives from Racing New South Wales (Peter V'landys), Racing Victoria (Bernard Saundry) and Racing and Wagering Western Australia (Bob Pearson) to receive and consider feedback from the PRAs. Industry stake holders are being encouraged to lodge written submissions. "The board has announced it will consider the views of the principal racing authorities, and a report from the Gleeson sub-committee, at its board meeting on the 14th of September," McGauran told Melbourne's Radio Sport National yesterday. "It won't be before then." He added: "The fact we're having a review means we may have not got the rule entirely right. But I think most people would agree we're almost there."

« Previous
Return to
28th June 2016 News
Next »