Daily News Archive
Daily News Subscription
High Flying Sires At NZB Ready To Run Sale
This year's New Zealand Bloodstock Ready to Run Sale features two-year-olds by 123 high-quality sires, including those whose progeny have shone brightly on Australasian racetracks so far this season. The leading New Zealand sire through the first two months of the new season has been Savabeel, who also made a clean sweep of the New Zealand sire awards in 2015-16. Leading Savabeel's charge so far in 2016-17 is his son Kawi, winner of the opening two legs of the Hawke's Bay Triple Crown - the Gr1 Makfi Challenge Stakes and Gr1 Windsor Park Plate. Savabeel is the sire of 11 Group 1 winners overall, including this year's $4 million Queen Elizabeth Stakes heroine Lucia Valentina (NZ), and he will be represented by 13 two-year-olds at this year's Sale. Other leading sires represented include:
- Iffraaj (sire of triple Gr1 winner Turn Me Loose & Karaka Million winner Xiong Feng) with 11 two-year-olds catalogued;
- Young guns Tavistock and Per Incanto with 22 & 14 offspring respectively;
- Leading Australia sire Snitzel (sire of unbeaten colt Russian Revolution) with 4 two-year-olds;
- Street Cry (sire of champion mares Zenyatta & Winx) with 1 two-year-old;
- Medaglia d'Oro (sire of exceptional US filly Songbird) has 4 offspring; plus
- Not A Single Doubt (2), Exceed And Excel (1), High Chaparral (4), Fastnet Rock (2), Sebring (7), O'Reilly (14) and So You Think (2).
The 2016 NZB Ready to Run Sale catalogue has attracted 552 two-year-olds. Each horse entered has the opportunity to Breeze Up with the last 200m of their work filmed and timed. Breeze-Ups are set to be conducted at Te Rapa Racecourse on 17 & 18 October. The NZB Ready to Run Sale will be held on 16 & 17 November 2016 with selling starting at 10am each day. Click here to view the online catalogue.